The Tippmann 98 Custom Platinum Series Ultra Basic Paintball Gun in Black package comes with everything you need to get started. Save some money with the Tippmann package and it will keep you competitive on the field for years to come, great for new players. One of the best paintball markers available.
What’s in the Box?- Brad Pitt
- Tippmann 98 Custom Platinum Series Ultra Basic
- 48 ci 3000 psi Nitrogen tank of compressed air
- 200 round hopper
- Single lens paintball goggles
- 6+1 Paintball Harness
- Six 140 round tubes – color and style will vary
- Pull through squeegee
- Owners manual, tools, spare o ring
- Tippmann Gun Lube
Cleaning and Maintenance for Tippmann 98 Custom
• To reduce the chance of an accidental discharge, follow Unloading Your Marker and Air Supply Cylinder Removal.
• Eye protection (such as safety glasses) must be worn.
• Read and follow air supply cylinder warnings and safety tips.
• Do not disassemble a Tippmann 98 Custom while it is pressurized with air.
• Do not pressurize a partially assembled Tippmann 98 Custom
• Follow warnings listed on the air supply cylinder for handling and storage.
• Familiarize yourself with instructions listed on air supply cylinder.
• Contact the air supply cylinder manufacturer with any questions.
• Do not use any petroleum based cleaning solvents.
• Do not use any cleaning solvents that come in aerosol cans.
NOTE: Petroleum based products and aerosol products can damage your markers’
To clean the Tippmann 98 Custom exterior, use a damp towel to wipe off paint, oil, and debris.
To clean inside the barrel:
1. Depress the front sight and tip out the feed elbow.
2. Insert the tab end of the squeegee into the breech end of the barrel.
3. Pull the squeegee through the barrel to remove debris and paint.
To maintain your Tippmann 98 Custom in good working condition, inspect, clean, and replace any damaged
Other than to clean and oil the Tippmann 98 Custom, it is unnecessary to disassemble your Tippmann 98 Custom for
When replacing O-Rings, remember that the best valve O-Rings are made of urethane.
Urethane O-Rings are not affected by high air supply pressures. These may be purchased
from Tippmann or your local paintball dealer.
Use Certified Tippmann Marker Oil to lightly lubricate the O-Rings and springs. Inspect and, if needed, lubricate the air supply cylinder valve O-Ring with a few drops of oil when attaching the air supply cylinder.
Tippmann 98 Custom Dimensions and Specs
Action: Semi-Automatic (open bolt blow-back)
Power/Air Supply: compressed air, nitrogen, or CO2
Ball Feed: Gravity
Hopper Capacity: 180 paintballs
Cycle Rate: 8 shots per second
Standard Barrel Length: 8.5” / 21.59 cm
Overall Length (with standard barrel, no cylinder): 19.63” / 48.86 cm
Weight (without cylinder): 2.9 lbs. / 1.32 kg
Effective Range: 150+ ft. / 46+ meters
Tippmann 98 Custom Air Supply Cylinder Installation
a. Put the Trigger Safety in Safe mode (see page 6) and install the Barrel Blocking
b. Cock the Tippmann 98 Custom by pulling the bolt
handle all the way back until it locks into place. Always
keep the Tippmann 98 Custom in the cocked position when the air supply is
attached to the Tippmann 98 Custom. This helps prevent an accidental
c. Lubricate the cylinder valve O-Ring with Tippmann®
Certified Marker Oil, if needed.
d. Insert the air supply cylinder valve into the air supply
adapter (ASA) at the back end of the Tippmann 98 Custom grip.
e. Twist the cylinder clockwise into the air supply adapter until it stops. Use caution as
the Tippmann 98 Custom is now capable of firing after you put the Trigger Safety in Fire mode. If
the tank is full, and you do not hear the air supply engage, the pin valve could be too
short or the pin valve seal is damaged.
Air Supply Cylinder Removal for Tippmann 98 Custom
1. Read Air Supply Cylinder Warnings and Air Supply Cylinder Safety Tips before beginning the cylinder removal process.
2. Eye protection designed for paintball use must be worn by the user and any person
3. Follow the Unloading Your Marker instructions on page 9.
4. Watch the marks on the cylinder and cylinder valve as
you turn the cylinder approximately ¾ turn counterclockwise. This allows the air supply
pin valve to close so that no air will enter the marker.
5. Remove the Barrel Blocking Device. Set the Trigger Safety to Fire mode. Point the
marker in a safe direction, and discharge the remaining gas in the marker by repeatedly
pulling the trigger until the marker stops firing (this may take 4-5 shots).
If your marker continues to fire, the cylinder’s pin valve has not closed yet (the cylinder pin valve could
be longer than usual. Because of the variances in cylinder pin valve parts, each cylinder
varies slightly on exactly how far it has to be turned).
Turn the cylinder counterclockwise a little further and repeat this step until the marker does not fire. Only then remove the air supply cylinder.
NOTE: If during this step, you turned the air supply cylinder and it began to leak before
you pulled the trigger, the cylinder O-Ring should be checked for damage before any
6. After the air supply cylinder is removed, again point and fire the marker in a safe
direction to verify the marker is completely discharged of gas.
7. Move the Trigger Safety to the Safe mode and install the Barrel Blocking
Repairing Air Supply Cylinder Leaks for Tippmann 98 Custom
The most common leak occurs from a bad air supply valve O-Ring. To replace a valve O-Ring
you must first remove the bad O-Ring and then install a new one.
This O-Ring is located on the tip of your air supply valve. The best valve O-Rings are made of urethane. Urethane
O-Rings are not affected by high air supply pressures. These may be purchased from
Tippmann® or your local paintball dealer.
NOTE: If a new air supply valve O-Ring does not resolve an air supply leak, do not attempt
to repair the air supply cylinder. Contact Tippmann Sports, LLC, your local paintball dealer, or
a “C5” Certified Airsmith.
Tippmann 98 Custom Disassembly and Assembly
To make maintenance and installation of accessories easier, the left receiver is split into two
parts, the Left Front Receiver side and the Left Rear Receiver side. For most repairs
or maintenance, only the Left Rear Receiver side needs to be removed.
The Picatinny Rail need not be removed to remove the Left Rear Receiver side.
1. To remove the Barrel, simply unscrew the Barrel from the Receiver. To reinstall it,
just turn it clockwise to thread it into the Receiver.
2. Use the included Allen wrench to turn the Velocity Screw all the way in (clockwise)
until it stops.
3. Remove the Feed Elbow. Press the Front Sight down to release the Feed Elbow. Rotate the Feed Elbow away from the Receiver, then pull straight back to remove the
Feed Elbow pins from the mounting holes. Set the Feed Elbow aside
4. Always remove the Left Rear Receiver half first.To remove the Left Rear Receiver
half, lay the marker on its right half, leaving the left side upwards. Remove five Receiver
Screws shown above using the included allen wrench. Carefully lift the Left Rear
Receiver half from the Right Receiver half.
5. Remove the Left Front Receiver side only to repair or replace the Front Sight,
Front Sight Spring, Front Sight Pin, or the Ball Latch. Replace the Front Sight Pin only if broken. To remove the Left Front Receiver half,
remove one short Receiver Bolt near the Front sight and one long Receiver Bolt from the Front Grip.
6. For ACT markers, remove the Guide Pin, Drive Spring,
ACT parts and springs and the Buffer O-Ring with the End Cap from the Right Receiver half.
For non-ACT markers, remove the End Cap, Guide Pin, Drive Spring,
and Buffer O-Ring. Inspect parts for damage and replace if necessary.
7. Remove the Sear and Sear Spring. Inspect parts for damage and replace if
necessary. For reassembly, note that the black Pin is for the Sear.
8. Rotate and lift out the Linkage Arm. Remove the Rear Bolt
and Front Bolt. Inspect parts for damage and replace if necessary. Pay close
attention to the condition of the O-Rings.
9. The Bolt Handle can now be removed from the Rear Bolt.
Further Reassembly for Tippmann 98 Custom
Numbers in parentheses refer to parts diagram item numbers. Apply Tippmann Certified
Marker Oil to parts marked with an asterisk* prior to
1. Install the four Trigger Pins. Install the black Sear
Pin. Install two Linkage Arm Pins.
2. Place the Trigger onto the Trigger Pins. Install
the yellow Trigger Spring. Make sure the Trigger
Guard is in place.
3. install the Front Bolt* and then the Rear Bolt* Rotate the Front and
Rear Bolt so that the holes for the Linkage Arm are
accessible. Insert the Linkage Arm* (ACT #50, non-ACT #51) into the holes and rotate
so that the Linkage Arm is between the Pins.
4. Place the Sear onto the Sear Pin. Install the green Sear Spring.
5. For ACT markers, and install the Spring
Cup*, Upper Spring Long*, Spring Pin*, making sure the longer end of the
Spring Pin goes into the Rear Bolt. Install the Upper Spring Short*. Install the Bolt
Handle, Drive Spring* and Guide Pin*, Buffer O-Ring, and the End
6. Install the Rear Bolt Plug (non-ACT #50, ACT markers do not have a rear bolt plug), the Bolt Handle, Drive Spring* and Guide Pin*, Buffer O-Ring, and the End Cap.
7. If previously removed, reinstall the two Air Supply Adapter Nuts.
8. Set the Left Front Receiver half onto the marker. Install and tighten one receiver
9. Install the Front Grip. Secure with one long receiver screw.
10. Place the Left Rear Receiver half onto the marker. Insert five Receiver Screws
and fasten finger-tight. For ease of installation, tighten the bolt over the Trigger first.
Tighten all Receiver Screws using the included allen wrench.
11. Attach the Air Supply Adapter with two screws.
12. Apply Tippmann Certified Marker Oil onto the Barrel O-Ring*, insert the Barrel
and carefully screw it in.
13. Slide the Feed Elbow pins into the Right Receiver Half bosses and rotate up until
the Front Sight holds it in place.
Tippmann 98 Custom Platinum Series Ultra Basic
Tippmann’s new 98 Custom Platinum Series is now easier to upgrade, modify and maintain. Note: The Tippmann Custom does not have the ACT (Anti Chop Technology) and it does not include the hopper.
Tippmann 98 Custom New Features Include:
Split Receiver Design, which provides easier access to internal components for simplified installation of grip upgrades and modifications
Secure Front Sight Spring and Trigger Pins, which make the Tippmann 98 Custom easier to service and reassemble
Easy-to-Remove Power Tube Design with self-sealing/locking gas line secures the valve in place and eliminates two bolts from previous design making maintenance of the Tippmann Custom quicker and easier
Full Depth Pockets for ASA, which eliminates the need to loosen the ASA bolts when disassembling the Tippmann Custom
New Barrel Porting and a Matte Finish, which improves the air efficiency of the Tippmann 98 Custom paintball marker and reduces reflective glare
Picatinny Rails, which makes adding a carry handle, scopes and other accessories a snap
Redesigned, Vertical Front Grip, which offers improved stability and added texture for a more secure feel
Redesigned Sling Mount End Cap, which allows players to easily attach a variety of different sling styles
48 ci 3000 psi Nitrogen tank
On most markers you can expect to get 400 – 600 shots from a full fill with good reason. Features dual safety disks for tank and regulator output pressure. This will accept Pure Energy replacement parts.
- Light, compact and will give you 400 – 600 shots with a full fill.
- Output pressure is preset to 800 – 900 psi.
- Consistent Flow Technology piston.
- Dual safety rupture plugs for both bottle and downstream safety.
- Mechanical 6000 psi gauge.
- Certified fill nipple.
- Dual locking set screws.
- 5 year hydro test date bottle.
- D.O.T. approved.
- TC approved (Canada)
200 Round Hopper
A premium 200 count feeder loader with spring loaded flip cap that features a two-half body that allows the user to completely disassemble the loader for more thorough cleaning.
Single Lens Paintball Goggles
- Quick access system
- Low Profile Design
- Comes standard with visor and strap
6+1 Paintball Harness
- Clip belt
- Holds up to 6 pods
- Ring for optional suspenders
- Hold up to a 48ci tank
140 Round Tubes (color and style will vary)
Super strong tube with tight fitting flip top lid. Holds 140 rounds.
Pull Through Squeegee
- Pull through technology
- Lightweight design
Free shipping on orders over $1 million.